Monday, January 16, 2012

Week 2 Assignment - Results

Another week in and I'm feeling good!  Not only did my menu board turn out great, but I also got two items off my "Honey Do" list!!  Since there was a lot of waiting watching paint dry, I had plenty of time to re-caulk the kitchen sink as well as do all the caulking in our master bath now that the new floor is in.  The menu board was really easy but I did discover a few tips they don't put on the chalkboard paint can!  :)

1)  Your surface must be TOTALLY smooth.  Our door has fake wood "grain" to it and after 6 coats it's still there, although not as prominent. I don't think it's a big deal and I think the board will work just fine, but I guess I thought the paint had more self-leveling properties to it.

2)  Since there's so much waiting involved between coats, if you put your roller and paint tray in ziplock bags  in the fridge you can re-use them over and over for each coat...just make sure you take them out of the fridge about an hour before you plan to paint so they will return to room temperature.

3)  If you are masking off an area that doesn't have it's own barrier (like a square on a wall), paint the inside edge of the tape with the paint color of the wall...it seals in any gaps between the tape and the wall and gives you a sharper edge.  (Thanks, Tracy, for that tip!!)

I am soooo excited at how it turned out and I can't wait to get my menu's up for the week...just have to let it cure for a couple more days.  Take a look!!   :)

1 comment: