Monday, January 23, 2012

Week 3 Assignment - Results

Well...it's been an interesting week around here.  Between two sick babies, a sick Mommy and Daddy, and celebrating my 40th birthday, it's amazing I got anything done at all!  So, I have good news and bad news...which do you want first?

Let me start with the bad news.  I didn't finish the above-the-toilet cabinet this week for a couple of reasons.  While I think the advice I got from Alter'd Designs would have worked the first time I painted it, while trying to remove my train-wreck of a prior paint application I pretty much destroyed the laminate layer of the cabinet and was left with a less than perfect surface to work with.  I did prime with several coats and probably could have made it work, but while staring at the cabinet for hours while prepping it I decided I absolutely hated it!  It probably didn't help that I found something on Pinterest that I absolutely loved a few weeks ago and couldn't get it out of my head!  :)  Any guess what my next project will be????

But let's not dwell on the negative...on to the good news!  The good news is my family sign is one of the cutest things I've ever made!!  And I have my friend Tracy to thank not only for helping me get it done, but also for teaching me how to use some fabulous power tools!!  I think I may have found my latest addiction!!  It's funny how intimidating something that can cut your hand off can be...until you learn how to use it!  Now I'm all over Pinterest finding things to build and create.  Who knows, I may just beat the hubs to becoming a woodworker!   She also taught me the fine art of distressing...I had no idea destroying something on purpose could be so much fun!!

This project was perfect for someone who had no idea what she was doing when it came to power tools because you don't have to have exact measurements and to be honest you don't even need to make straight cuts.  And if you don't have a saw or don't want to use one, if you're really sweet to the guy in the lumber department at the Depot they'll make all your cuts for you!

So, enough gabbing!  Here's my latest masterpiece!  I'm a little bummed that the second line of text isn't as prominent as I'd like...but I'm not sure it bums me out enough to repaint the plank and do the letters again!  :)  We'll see...I'll probably change my mind by the end of the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment